Monday, January 28, 2008

Book Review: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Synopsis: A dying wizard passes on his power to the eight child of an eighth son, unaware that the child is, in fact, a girl. Thus, Esk Smith grows up possessing the power of wizard magic--the first female to do so. It falls to Granny Weatherwax to get her to Ankh-Morpork and the Unseen University where she can learn her magic. The only problem is that Unseen University has a strict "No Women" policy.

The third novel in the Discworld series, this is the fourth book by Terry Pratchett I've read. I'd also have to say it was my least favorite. That isn't to say it isn't a good book. It's just a book that's easy to put down and doesn't nip at you to pick it back up. And hey, this is the book where you first meet Granny Weatherwax. She's such a great character.

While the book was amusing, overall, I think I only laughed out loud once. And looking back now, I can't even remember that joke. In fact, I can't really dredge up much about it for this review. I guess that pretty much defines it as mediocre. It was entertaining enough for me to not feel cheated, but it wasn't really that memorable.

No comments: