Friday, April 18, 2008

Why am I such a jerk?

I've had a couple questions from readers who notice that my book reviews tend to be negative. And I've been asked what I have against Dan Brown. So I figured I'd answer that here.

On the subject of negativity, I work as an editor. That job has trained me to see the faults in things. And I'm pretty good at it. The real problem is that only two things ever stand out in any work: flaws and moments of brilliance. The merely satisfactory is background. When I started my reviews, I decided to be brutally honest. So I point out the flaws in the hope that any writers who might read this after stumbling upon the site (or losing a bet) might avoid such mistakes in their own work.

I also decided to minimize the spoilers in my reviews. It's easy to point out a structural flaw without giving away the story, but brilliant scenes can't be described without spoiling that scene at least.

The truth is that praise is rarely helpful. That's the problem with most writing or critique groups out there: For fear of offending people, they only say nice things about the work. I joined my current critique group two and a half years ago. And they did what I needed. They shredded it, burned the shreds, sowed the ashes in a field, and salted the field lest anything ever grow there again (metaphorically speaking, of course). Every week, I left there wanting to cry. But I kept going back, and an interesting thing happened: I learned. And I thank them for that. I am a much better writer now than I was before their mauling.

So that's why I focus on the negatives: You can learn from them.

On to Dan Brown. It isn't just me, most professional writers have problems with his books (not the man--I'm sure he's delightful--though I can't say for certain, having never met him). The best way to express this problem is by extended metaphor. Writer's typically refer to their techniques as their toolkit. So we'll liken writing to carpentry.

When every would-be carpenter starts out, they go to the hardware store and pick up a basic toolkit and a Time/Life book on making shelves. Nothing in it is special. It will never produce anything great, but it's serviceable. As the carpenter gains experience, he gets more tools, more books, and expands his skills until he can produce works that are unique.

The writer's toolkit is similar. All writers start out with the same set of hackneyed plot devices, one dimensional characterizations, and tricks (like extended metaphors). Every writer is intimitely familiar with them, and the best build a writing workshop like unto Norm Abrams, with tools and techniques that allow them to make works no one else could ever reproduce. Works that surprise even the most jaded.

The problem with Dan Brown is that he uses the basic kit almost exclusively. The story is competantly told, but it's still formulaic and still has plot holes. So writers who know their craft see his work and recogize its shortcomings. Then comes the sour grapes (there, I admitted it): His works sell so many copies while a better crafted story doesn't do as well. Though, I should say the sour grapes aren't the cause of writers disliking the work, they are the reason for decrying it. There's no need to shout about the emperor being naked if no one saw him.

There is something of elitism that comes of learning a craft. A carpenter might look at another's work and scoff bacause of a rough bevel or uneven groove. A chef might spit out slightly overcooked shrimp. Writers are the same. We know the potential of a good story well told, and when one falls short we know it.

So there we go. Not only am I a jerk in my reviews, but I'm also an elitist snob who thinks he knows better than everyone else.

One thing to keep in mind about my reviews is that they're my opinion. You might think I'm wrong. If you do, I welcome debate in the comments. Like all critics that trick is to decide whether or not you tend to agree with me, and take my suggestions accordingly. If I tend to dislike books you love, when I write a bad review of something, get thee to the bookstore and get a copy.

No comments: