Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Book Review: Blood Music By Greg Bear

What can I say about Blood Music? It's enjoyable and keeps attention, but I can't escape the verdict that it was hopelessly predictable. Maybe that's because it was written more than twenty years ago and the same plot and concept have since been done, but nothing that happened caught me the least by surprise.

It is a story of what happens when genetic engineering goes awry. The result is an apocalyptic cataclysm ultimately resulting in a bio-gray goo scenerio.

As I said, it kept my attention and I enjoyed it, which speaks well for the writing, but I think the fact that I felt no lasting connection to a focal character (they kept turning into gray goo and, thus, disappearing) kept me from being more invested in the story. It's amazing how important it is to be grounded in a character. After all, that's how we know, as readers, whom to root for and whom to wish death upon.

As it stood, this book seemed more a collection of short stories united in a common situation than it did a single coherent novel.

No comments: