Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Book Review: When the Women Come Out to Dance by Elmore Leonard

Synopsis: This is a collection of short stories.

Many of these stories involve previous stories by Leonard. In fact, I can say for certain the story from Tishomingo Blues is an off screen scene we have described in the book. I have to admit, the concept is brilliant: compile deleted and character sketch scenes and sell them in a collection. It's more money for not much more work.

The story that sticks with me most is Tenkiller, wherein Ben Webster--grandson of Carl Webster from The Hot Kid and Up in Honey's Room, returns to Oklahoma and discovers squatters have taken over his ancestral land.

The other one that really leaves a mark on me is Fire in the Hole, which follows the takedown of a white supremacist. The pure racism just sent shivers. It's something I don't really get. Maybe it's because deep down I'm a good guy. Maybe because I'm a mongrel. Whatever it is, racism really gets to me.

No comments: